My great-great uncle was Joseph Buchannen Bennight. Brother of my g-g grandfather, William Miller Bennight. I have info that Joseph B. Bennight was born in 1831 in Missouri. Married: #1 Sarah A Ward, #2 Louisa A Coffee. Parents: William (born 1795 in S Carolina) & Sarah (born 1804 - SC)
Need information on the children of William and Mary (Dicus) Bennight. Any help would be appreciated. I am posting all I have on this family. This information was found in a WFT Archive CD.
Thanking you in advance,
Nancy Dicus Beck
Descendants of William
Generation No. 1
1. William Miller Bennight was born 20 September 1843 in Missouri, and died 03 December 1927 in Henryetta, Okmulgee, Oklahoma. He married Mary Ethel Dicus December 1888 in Cooke or Grayson County, Texas, daughter of James Dicus and Nancy Diamond. She was born 10 June 1865 in Gainesville, Cooke County, Texas and died 05 September 1939 in Henryetta, Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
Notes for William Miller Bennight:
Wm. Miller Bennight:
(1) Source: WFT Archives Vol. 12, Tree #0282, Submission date 16 May 1997.
(2) Preponderance of evidence suggests that Wm Bennight, is the son of William and Sarah Bennight of Hempstead Co. Arkansas. They are also the parents of Joseph B. Bennight. William and Mary (Tyree)
are in Freestone Co., Texas in 1870 but have no children. (The following are records with first wife Mary Tryee)
(3) U.S. Census Hempstead Co. Arkansas Canuse Township D-48.
(4) U.S. Census Sevier Co., Arkansas, Monroe Township, p.63, family 454, dwelling 477.
(5) U.S. Census Freestone Co, Fairfield Post Office, 1870, Texas p. 71, Family #16.
William is a land owner and he probably purchased the land with proceeds from sale of land that was a gift from his Father, William Bennight of Sevier Co, Arkansas.
(6) Sevier Co, Arkansas Deed Records 1853-1861, Book 9, p. 487, Film # 1009442 and 43 LDS Archives, Salt Lake, Utah.
The Bennight family lived in Roseville, TX; Freestone County, Texas; Henrietta, Olmulgee County, Oklahoma; Lehigh, OK; Tallequah, Paul's Valley and Caddo Oklahoma
1st wife Mary Melvina Tyree
Parents; Wm. & Sarah Bennight
More About William Miller Bennight:
Burial: December 1927, Henryetta, Okmulgee, Oklahoma
Notes for Mary Ethel Dicus:
Mary Ethel "Mollie" Dicus Benight
Born, 10 June 1865, Gainsville, Cooke County Texas.
Married, William Miller Bennight in December 1888.
died, 5 September 1939, Henryetta, Okmulgee, Oklahoma. Buried in Hernyetta, Oklahoma.
Parents, James M. and Nancy Catharine (Diamond) Dicus
In my search for James Dicus descendants I came across the pedigree of the Bennight family in a Broderbund Family Archive CD, Volume 12, Tree # 0282 (name of tree Bennight, Fritch, Kyser of TX, KY 1691-1991 ). Submission date 16 May 1997. I found "Mollie" her name was Mary Ethel. Her husband William Miller Bennight, son of William (bn. 1795 in South Carolina) and Sarah Bennight. The Bennight family moved to Missouri where Wm. was born 20 September 1843. The family then moved to Hempstead Co., Arkansas, William inherited land in Sevier Co Arkansas on his fathers death. [Sevier Co., AR Deed records 1853-1861, Book 9, p.487, Film #1009442 & 43 LDS Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah]. William and his brother Josephs came to Texas during or just after the Civil War, living in Fairfield, Freestone County, TX. [ They are both enumerated in the 1870 Freestone Co, Census , Fairfield, TX, p.71, family # 15]
Williams first wife was Mary Melvina Tyree, they are in the 1870 census listed with no children, They are found in Tallequah, Oklahoma in 1872. In 1873 they are in Caddo Oklahoma. In 1879 they are again in Tallequah. They have 5 children Loren; William Miller Jr; Peter; Joseph and Claude. In 1888 they are in Roseville, TX Mary Tyree dies and William Miller marries Mary Ethel Dicus. The children of William and Mary Ethel are: Fannie; Nora ; Samuel; Tolle; Sweet Jewel and Betty.
William and Mary died in Henryetta, OK they are buried there, Mary on 7 September 1939. Name of Cemetary unknown.
More About Mary Ethel Dicus:
Burial: 07 September 1939, Henryetta, Okmulgee, Oklahoma
Census: 1870, Census Fannin Co, TX age 5, with parents.
Census (2): 1880, Census Fannin Co, TX age 15, with father and stepmother Martha.
Children of William Bennight and Mary Dicus are:
2 i. Fanny2 Bennight, born WFT Est. 1877-1905.
3 ii. Nora Bennight, born WFT Est. 1877-1905.
4 iii. Samuel C. Bennight, born 1890 in Texas. He married Ada Johnson 03 September 1911 in Freestone Co., Texas.
Notes for Samuel C. Bennight:
(1) Letter from Lena Bonner VP Freestone County General Society, dated 9 September 1993. In general files of T.A. Kyser. (source: Broderbund WFT. Vol. 12, Tree # 0282)
5 iv. Tolle O. Bennight, born 01 October 1893; died 02 February 1954 in Henryetta, Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
6 v. Sweet Jewel Bennight, born Abt. 1895. She married J. B. Allen.
7 vi. Betty L. Bennight, born Abt. 1897.