Friday, March 15, 2013

One Choctaw Mystery Solved

Mosholatubbee, painted by George Catlin

Hi everybody!

I hope you're having a great day, I sure am. I finally figured out how I'm related to Chief Mushulatubbee: According to Ancestry.com, he is the "great grandfather of the wife of my great grand uncle." Before you start comparing his face with mine, we're related by marriage (haha).  

It all started with this court case that involved some of my family members:
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/oklahoma/tribes/james_c_johnson_james_j_bennight_choctaw.htm

A huge Thank You to accessgenealogy.com for making this document available online.

After reading and re-reading (and re-re-reading) the document and comparing the names with my family tree, and doing a ba-jillion searches, I finally pieced it together. I'm so grateful for Ancestry.com and for people who share their family trees online.
  
So without further ado, (drum roll) this is what I discovered:


My great grand uncle (James Jerome Bennight) married a Choctaw woman named Susan S. Cogbill
daughter of Isabella Williams (husband Franklin Cogbill), 
daughter of Rebecca King (husband Samuel "Jake" Williams), 
daughter of Mushulatubbee (wife Onamaiya),
son of Mingo Homomastabbee and Sister Pushkush



This is a Choctaw family related to me by marriage rather than blood lines, but still exciting! And it resulted in lots of Bennight cousins with Choctaw blood.

Next up: Finding out about my own great-grandmother's possible Choctaw heritage. Her name is Mary Melvina Tyree. I can't wait to get going on it.

                Happy Searching, Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment